Skip to main content

When Tomorrow Comes

Last night while you were
Lying in my arms
And I was wondering where you were
You know you looked just like a baby
Fast asleep in this dangerous world.
Every star was shining brightly
Just like a million years before.
And we were feeling very small
Underneath the universe.
And you know that I'm gonna be the one
Who'll be there when you need
Someone to depend upon
When tomorrow comes...
When tomorrow comes...

--Eurythmics

It's been the longest, most eventful summer, and it's only just past the Fourth of July. We've just come back from Joshua Tree, an appropriate full circle. When I first alerted friends on social media about Jon's stroke, it was April 29, and I posted a photo of him during our spring trip to the desert two weeks prior. When Jon was taken to the hospital on April 26, I didn't know if I would ever see him be so happy and so himself ever again.

Jon doesn't remember any of it, except the last few days in the hospital. It's as if he woke from a long, dreamless sleep. And sometimes I feel like that too.

For a long time I felt I was falling in an endless deep free fall. No bottom to hit, no sides to cling to and right myself, just a giant tumble with formless wind whistling past my ears. Sometimes I still jolt awake in the mornings, half expecting to rush to get dressed, get the kids ready, and rush to the hospital. It's a relief to look over and see Jon, and settle back, and remember where we are right now.

And where we are is--hard to believe.

On June 22, Jon saw his occupational therapy team, and his speech therapist. Occupational and speech work closely together, and together with physical therapy on the motor skills side, focused on bringing back neuro cognitive abilities. Throughout his therapies over the last two months, both emphasized setting goals and re-examining what is possible, what is desired, and working back to everyday abilities in a way that is satisfying for the stroke patient. It's remarkable to think it sometimes takes an event like this to figure of what you truly want out of life, and that's very much what the process was for Jon, and for me.

Who were we before? Who do we want to be now? How do we want to spend the most precious gift we've been given--time, second chances, a future?

Every day, we discover what that means. Every day is a good day, because I get to come home to you. Problems are a hound with no teeth, and the days of pleasure abound.

A week later, we had a follow up visit with the neurologist. I remember the doctor so vividly from ICU--her face, her voice, her clear "in charge" manner with the residents during rounds. I remember so much relief to see her after we were coming out of the ambulance transport, my anxiousness waiting to see her after the CT scan, and rewinding every aspect of her answers to my questions, over and over in my head.

Jon doesn't remember her at all. For him, this was an encounter with a stranger. But I was instantly flooded with memories.

She was completely surprised to see Jon, looking so...so well. There really isn't any other way to describe it. "I'm so pleased to see you looking so good," she kept saying again and again. "I'm surprised, but I'm very happy." She was alternately smiling and clasping her hands over her mouth in shock, and at one moment we glanced at each other and locked eyes. I could see tears of happy incredulity in her eyes, and we both struggled to keep our composure. This wasn't what we each had prepared for over the last two months. It was not just a surprise, it was astonishing.

Then she pulled up his files on the monitor, and then Jon and I both saw the scans of the bleed.

We saw the lateral ventricles--hollow spaces between the left and right hemispheres--with the left side completely filled in white (blood) where it should be black. We saw progressive scans from other angles where the cloud of blood seemed almost a complete cover over the brain. I'm glad to not have seen them until now. It would have drained the heart right out of me.

In the moment of decision, all I had was hope, and desire to hold my sweetheart again whole. And maybe something in that hope, and the light and prayers of our unbelievably supportive friends and family, in the endless wheel of gentle talking, handling, feeding, caring, loving, was a part of bringing him back. 

I choose to believe it is so.  

After the neurological follow through: walk on tip toes, can you feel this on your arms, your legs, look up, big smile, push me away from you, pull me towards you...he's cleared for, well, life and living, with regular follow up visits and tests.

"We see many, many very difficult outcomes to get a single one like yours," she says, and I see that this moment is nearly as emotional for her as it is for me.

That's you, you're one in a million, babe. If anyone is going to find his way back from the storm inside his own head, it would be you. 

You've come home to me, right back where you belong, where I've been waiting for you, where we've all been waiting for you. We've been saving your place just for you.

Welcome back, darling, welcome home.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Home Again

Today is the big day--Jon's first day back home! It's hard to believe it after three weeks in the hospital. I've got to say the last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Last Friday, his medical/therapy team gave us their update on what their recommendations are for his discharge, and some of it was hard to hear. They recommended 24/7 care; because of his cognitive and memory issues. If he were home alone and there was a fire, there was no certainty that he would be able to call 911, or realize he should leave the house. At that point, there were also some substantial coordination issues and assistive devices needed during his daily routine (a wheelchair and walker). It was a very, very difficult day. Saturday I made the choice that whatever was ahead, we would make it work. I would be happy for every moment we have. I married the sweetest most loving person on Earth, and that had not changed one bit. If you had told me two months ago that I would take my husband