Skip to main content

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family,

First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS!

I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again.

So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises.

He is in Keck Hospital of USC (the main hospital); the easiest way to GPS there is to punch in 1501 North Soto Street as the destination. The Parking lot closest to the hospital is at the corner of N. Soto and Norfolk, and you can walk uphill a bit to reach HCC 1, where you will be in the Gold Lobby. Ask directions and proceed to the Cardinal Lobby, which is the main Keck Hospital of USC building. Jon is in 7 South Neuroscience ICU (with the best neuro people EVER.) From 7-8 am and pm no visitors are allowed while the nurses change shifts. From 2-4 it's "quiet time" so they discourage too much activity or conversation with the patients. Also, only 2 visitors at a time in each room.

Sometimes Jon is clearly Jon. Other than the tubes and hospital gown, he looks like he could get out of bed and ask you if you want anything from Costco, he's making a quick run over there today. The only exception is the drain tube out of his head (EVD)--it looks a little freaky, but it doesn't seem to bother him, other than he keeps trying to run his hand through his hair. He's also got the usual tangle of monitor and IV strings and tubes.

If he's not overly tired, he might be perky when he sees a familiar face or old friend, say "hi" and maybe even your name. Perky mode = he says hi, yeah, yes, no, I don't know, smiles, waves, mutters "mm hmm" other otherwise makes nonverbal communication at the appropriate points in the conversation, as you converse. I never realized until now that Jon really doesn't talk a whole lot to begin with, or maybe that's just with me because I talk so much.

If he's tired, or just had the doctors, therapists, and nurses do a bunch of testing, he gets very sleepy and dozy, and drifts to sleep. That's okay. But it's more likely he'll talk to you, or be trying really, really hard to. If I'm not there when you visit, let the nurse know if he's been verbal, try to remember every word. Every word counts. His name, your name, etc.

Now here's the "hard" maybe. He might stare at you blankly, or repeat what you just said. This is hard, and kind of scary, because that is so not Jon. But remember, his brain has been bruised by pressure, and is in the process of healing. He's coming back to us, but sometimes the road is foggy and his headlights can't cut through the fog.

Talk to him about things you shared together, good times, old memories, nicknames, talk in Chinese or English, or both. When he gets a glimpse of things he kind of remembers, he seems to try hard to draw them out. After a new visits, he gets real tuckered out, and that's OK. He's getting a brain connectivity workout.

That's about it. I'm generally there mid morning to late afternoon, then return around 8 for while in the evening. I'll give updates to Jeff C., Laura P., Teresa L., Jennifer I., and Alex H. if you need a point of contact. I'm checking texts and personal email, but may be slow to respond depending on what might be going on at that moment. Also, please don't take it personally if I jump off the phone during a call--I'm limited on phone time from when I'm out of Jon's room, so might be cramming a few things in at the same time.

Much love and thank you for all your heartfelt good wishes and prayers, Especially the prayers.

Love,

Minne and Jon and Corey and Casey

Comments

  1. Dear Minnie
    This is Elizabeth.Thank you so much for updating us about how Jon is doing. I like to visit some time next week but will text before coming. Just to make sure I know the window of time that may be preferred : between 9 to 1 or between 4 to ? ( 7) pm?
    I know you have a lot to take care of so no rush re your response .
    Hugs and love to Jon. Wishing him continuing smooth and steady recovery. Love and hugs to you and the boys
    Do take care

    Elizabeth and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Minnie, This is Elizabeth (not sure if my first response came through. I did it on my cell phone) Thank you so much for sharing this blog and updating us about Jon. Sending you hugs and love and wishing Jon continuous steady and smooth recovery. I will text next week and find a good time to visit. Please take care and love to the boys as well. Will continue to pray for Jon's recovery. xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Head scars and all

It’s been an eventful four days. In some ways, exactly what we expected, and in other ways, completely surprising.  When Jon was discharged from the hospital, we were told he was a fall risk. He had to be attended to at all times and even had a night sitter, as he would try and get around, turn off the bed alarm and try and do things around the room on his own. (The last night before he came home he didn’t talk much, but that might have been due to tiredness, or the presence of the sitter in the room.) Driving home, he was quiet but alert, and seemed to be taking in everything around him. The next 48 hours were harrowing, not medically, but because this was a transition to a new level of interaction that we all were not sure about.  When someone comes home to convalesce, it’s difficult. Home is where you’re in control, you do what you want, you know how everything works. That isn’t the case after a prolonged hospital stay. Prior to Jon’s homecoming, Alex and the boys and I