Skip to main content

Home Again

Today is the big day--Jon's first day back home! It's hard to believe it after three weeks in the hospital. I've got to say the last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Last Friday, his medical/therapy team gave us their update on what their recommendations are for his discharge, and some of it was hard to hear. They recommended 24/7 care; because of his cognitive and memory issues. If he were home alone and there was a fire, there was no certainty that he would be able to call 911, or realize he should leave the house. At that point, there were also some substantial coordination issues and assistive devices needed during his daily routine (a wheelchair and walker). It was a very, very difficult day.

Saturday I made the choice that whatever was ahead, we would make it work. I would be happy for every moment we have. I married the sweetest most loving person on Earth, and that had not changed one bit. If you had told me two months ago that I would take my husband to the park in a wheelchair, I would have cried myself to sleep every night and felt sorry for myself. But the day, on Saturday, I felt nothing but joy, and happiness that we had made it through, and every day could be better than the last.

Sunday was quiet, with the boys and me spending lunch at the hospital, waiting for Jon's therapy to be over. Earlier in the day (we didn't realize it), his physical therapist, Natalie, had him walk across the street to the park. He was pretty tired, so we just worked on puzzles before leaving to let Jon sleep.

Monday and Tuesday something really jumpstarted, and suddenly Jon started speaking in full sentences, getting more right answers on cognitive and memory assessments, walking longer distances, and climbing stairs. The motor, coordination, concentration, and cognitive all build off each other, and by Tuesday, he was commenting  about his least favorite president, "that guy is such an idiot," and talking about yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He also remembered his speech therapist's name, which had been difficult previously.

So today when I arrived at 9 a.m., he had packed up all his belongings in the bags I left in his room, and was ready to go home. I asked him if he had packed everything himself, and he said, "Yes, because they don't really tell you what's going to happen next around here." Pretty, pretty amazing considering what three weeks ago looked like, when he was not capable of remembering time, his name, his kids names.

Does this happen for all neuro patients? Is there a natural arc for progress for hemorrhagic stroke? There are no guarantees, there are no answers, no certainties. For every test looking for tumors, or tangled blood vessels, you naturally prepare for the worst news, and nurture as much hope you can muster. It's all you can do.

BUT. 

I will tell you this. Hope matters. Prayers and good wishes matter. Sending tiny texts of encouragements, giant hugs, a listening ear, all matter.

The soothing presence of a gentle hand and voice, reading the needs of the patient, bringing music, joy, comfort, and signaling the expectation that wellness is around the corner, within your grasp, is as healing as any treatment. This is true for the patient as well as the family members. One nurse said to me she was fine with me staying beyond visiting time because "I know you're good for him to get better."

If we think of the body as as system that wants to heal, then we can see that the  state of the mind, the presence of love, the encouragement to come back to all the love we have built and earned in our lives, is the best medicine.


Welcome home, darling, right where you belong.

Comments

  1. This one made me teary. Thank you, Minne, for sharing this experience so lovingly and candidly. Your missives are a gift. Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news. Long road ahead, I know but he's doing so much better. And like you said, it can only go up from here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Head scars and all

It’s been an eventful four days. In some ways, exactly what we expected, and in other ways, completely surprising.  When Jon was discharged from the hospital, we were told he was a fall risk. He had to be attended to at all times and even had a night sitter, as he would try and get around, turn off the bed alarm and try and do things around the room on his own. (The last night before he came home he didn’t talk much, but that might have been due to tiredness, or the presence of the sitter in the room.) Driving home, he was quiet but alert, and seemed to be taking in everything around him. The next 48 hours were harrowing, not medically, but because this was a transition to a new level of interaction that we all were not sure about.  When someone comes home to convalesce, it’s difficult. Home is where you’re in control, you do what you want, you know how everything works. That isn’t the case after a prolonged hospital stay. Prior to Jon’s homecoming, Alex and the boys and I