Skip to main content

Tracy Morgan's Aunt Flossie

Where do you turn to for answers, advice, solace, laughter, when you've been coping with a serious illness in the family?

Each other, of course, is in many ways the true answer. But there are many moments when you're alone at night, and the person you might normally turn to is the one who is in the hospital. So at those times I turned to my childhood best companion, a good book.

I've mentioned before that Jill Bolte Taylor's first-person account, "My Stroke of Insight," is a wonderful way of understanding stroke and stroke recovery. Her description of what it was like to re-learn brain function, and the crucial role her mother played in her recovery, was an eye opener. All through her 8-year healing process, she emphasizes how important it was that the people around her believed and expected her to regain the functions she was working so hard to achieve. There was no room for doubters, or negative treatment, or as she called them, "energy vampires." She needed all her strength, and the strength of others, to heal. 

Faith, whether your place it in the patient, the doctors, the universe, God, the beauty of the human body's ability to heal, is a beautiful energy. It can do only good, and I believe it does a great deal.

Another source of insightful information, in a totally different vein, is Tracy Morgan's comedy special, "Stayin' Alive," his comeback to standup comedy after his terrible highway accident left him with a shattered femur and traumatic brain injury. His journey back from illness also involved regaining physical, speech, occupational abilities through therapy. And of course, charting his way to what he really wants out of life, post-injury. This latter part isn't a given, because a major illness does shake your perspective--if you're given a second chance, a pause and reset button on the choices in your life, what would you choose to do with it? In Tracy Morgan's case, it becomes clear he loves his little daughter and his wife, and he loves doing comedy. And it's a joy to hear him back in full force.

Now I've found there are really three categories of how people respond during a medical crisis. The first category are people who offer kindness, sympathy, rides, meals, hugs, prayers, and also gifts of privacy, all without strings, without demands, without questions or expectations. God bless them all. The second category don't really know how to respond, or are too distraught or too shy to say much of anything, and that's okay too. It's tough to know what to say. It's awkward to think of what to do, and that's very, very human. God bless them all.

And then, there's Tracy Morgan's Aunt Flossie. 

"Some people just can't stay away from anything that's happening in the family," jokes Morgan, "and in my family that's my Aunt Flossie." So there's Aunt Flossie, all the time telling folks her opinion, making a general scene, showing up because she wants to show up, creating a one-person stress event in the middle of a stress event. Every family crisis has at least one Aunt Flossie. Bless their hearts. Our crisis had several.

Now some folks have a good way with the Aunt Flossies, can cajole and calm them, gently steer them to less nuisance-y roles. Jon has that ability, and patience, in abundance. But since he was unconscious or semi-cogent for most of this event, it fell to me to deal with the Aunt Flossies. 

I firmly believe that shielding the patient from negative energy is as important as generating positive energy. So, well let's just say Aunt Flossie has probably permanently removed me from the Christmas card list. I'm good with that.

Major events like a medical crisis often make people reevaluate their lives. What to keep, what to let fall to the wayside. Negative relationships were one of the first things to go from my list.

For me, it's been highly clarifying, like tuning a staticky radio and suddenly hearing music coming in clearly and beautifully. I'm sitting patiently by that radio, listening with my heart open, receptive to the direction of the divine. I know it exists. Small thinking, negative relationships, ego concerns, get in the way, and are the first things to go. 

One of Jon's therapists asked him what he would like to be doing now, that he isn't already doing. Jon paused and said, "I think I need to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life." And that's true for both of us. Life is more than the hamster wheel you're placed on. There are soup cans and hollow logs and piles of shavings to burrow into, and even—gasp!—life outside the cage.

Time is a gift, and it is limited in quantity. Share it with the people who deserve the gift of your time, your talent, your light, and your love.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Home Again

Today is the big day--Jon's first day back home! It's hard to believe it after three weeks in the hospital. I've got to say the last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Last Friday, his medical/therapy team gave us their update on what their recommendations are for his discharge, and some of it was hard to hear. They recommended 24/7 care; because of his cognitive and memory issues. If he were home alone and there was a fire, there was no certainty that he would be able to call 911, or realize he should leave the house. At that point, there were also some substantial coordination issues and assistive devices needed during his daily routine (a wheelchair and walker). It was a very, very difficult day. Saturday I made the choice that whatever was ahead, we would make it work. I would be happy for every moment we have. I married the sweetest most loving person on Earth, and that had not changed one bit. If you had told me two months ago that I would take my husband