Skip to main content

Our digital selves

Early on in this process I gave Jon an iPod with his favorite music to stimulate his memory. As he gained more and more alertness and lucidity, he began to get perplexed because he was looking for his usual apps--email, messages, etc.--but they weren't there on the device.

Now you don't necessarily give someone with a brain injury access to the all their usual things. Working back to complex decision making (processes that take multiple steps, not Middle East peace talks) is going to take a while. But I figured the most he would do is delete a bunch of his own emails, or take calls from telemarketers, so yesterday I gave him his phone back. Here's what happened.

He took random photos: his feet, the meal tray, a partial selfie. He's become a millennial. A short while later, he must have deleted them, because they're no longer in the phone.

He texted his brother, Al: "Hi Al"

He answered a text from one of the tenants:

Tenant: Hey Jon I really need you to fix the oven it does not work.

Jon: Willdo tgrcngp

Tenant: What?

Me (borrowing the phone): Sorry Jon has his phone back you might get random texts--he's recovering from a stroke--Min

Jon: I was never at an attraction

Jon: Hey -- you are ok???

Jon: Sure...Hey sure you are ok?

Tenant: You are texting me some shit

Tenant: U keep face timing me what's up

At this point I texted the tenant from my phone to clear things up. He was very nice, said Jon is a really nice man, take good care of him, he's also had family members with this type of health issue.

I think you become a slightly different person when you've been involved with the care of someone with a neuro issue. We don't normally dive into the complexities of the brain on an everyday basis (unless you're a neuroscientist or medical professional!) Making a cup of coffee involves something like 25 steps: identifying the coffee bag, opening it, scooping the grounds, identifying the coffee machine, etc. I'm discovering that having patience with physical and cognitive progress is a learned skill, too. Bear with me, guys, I'm hard on myself, on the kids, on family members, because I'm saving all my patience and understanding for one person. I'm opening up new parts of my brain, too, and it is sometimes a draining process.

Writing this all down, storing a digital version of ourselves, is my way of taking a long-term selfie. Every stage of a long-term relationship is different anyway. We're not the young New Yorkers, not the couple with the baby, not the couple from Fort Lee in apartment 8P with two little kids, not the new transplants to LA. Without the stroke, we would have been the "edge-of-empty-nesters" getting ready to send off our oldest to college. We are all those things and none of those things all at once. It's always a little sad to put those stages in the memory box and say goodbye. But we can always look back, see how good we looked, how much love was there, how busy we thought we were, and be happy at what has been gained in the process.

You have to love the process because it makes you who you are.

I will love you in every stage of this process, I will love you at the end of this process, I will love who we become.

Always,

Min

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Cognition / Re-Cognition

The brain is a mystery and a marvel. When I'm in my clearer moments of being (my normal cycle is calm/productive, then exhausted, in between there are still crying jags and feeling despair/guilt/anxiety, but mostly that's limited to when I'm alone in the car. By the way, this has always been my escape pod. My memoir could be titled "Crying in my car: One Woman's Relationship with her Car") I turn over the facts of the clinical case in my mind, over and over. So yesterday, our darling niece was planning to come by for a visit. So I let Jon know before Alex and I left in the late afternoon. He rolled his eyes and went "humph." Our darling girl is a sweetheart and we love her tremendously, but she is 1) a youngster and 2) an Angeleno, which means plans change and traffic can dictate anyone's whole day. So he expressed his usual skepticism that she would be on time, or arrive at all. When I came back in the evening with Casey, Casey asked "H