Skip to main content

Good days, bad days

Some days are going to be harder than others. I"m going to have to accept that, and so are people around me. 

After the flurry of panic in the emergency part of this situation, we are easing uncomfortably into some type of routine. After my hysterical moment Friday night, I went to bed (I didn't post to Facebook, but did write up as an entry. It was tough to write and will be tough to read.) I was supposed to drive Corey to take his SAT the next morning real early, but I woke up startled an hour too late, and rushed into Corey's room. We stared at each other in disbelief, and I expected him to be upset, but instead he hugged ME to give me comfort and said "It's okay Mom, I can take it in June." When did he become so like his dad, and I didn't even realize it?

With the morning test taking off the table, I suggested we make a trip to Target to pick up household supplies. Friends and my parents have been really kind and generous with providing food in the house, but still, we needed to re-stock, and up until now I have been circling between hospital and work, mostly just coming home to sleep. I also wanted to pick up some comfortable clothes for Jon. Since he is the PT/OT/Speech unit, he can be out of hospital gowns.


I was odd to go to out on an errand with the boys. Since they are so independent now, mostly Jon and I run errands individually, or sometimes as a pair. The boys rarely join us, unless we are also including in dinner or lunch. I miss Jon being with us all the time, but it actually felt pretty good to be with the boys, talking and having them make choices with me. Each of us is exactly aware of what this feels like. They are cracked open too. 

Although I originally planned to give myself a break and not go to the hospital, driving around with clothes for Jon made me antsy, so I decided to go in the early afternoon. The boys wanted to come too, so we picked up sandwiches and headed to the hospital. Jon was drowsy, but chuckled a little to see we had brought him a Lego figure building kit of Chirrut Imwe, the Donnie Yen character from Star Wars. Jon is a big Kung fu movies fan, so yes, we probably would have bought this in any case, motor skills and dexterity practice aside!

The new routine in therapy is exhausting. It takes a lot of neural processing to lift, move, turn, anything for activities. So simple tasks like practicing taking stairs and walking for Jon are the equivalent of taking physics exams for me. Exhausting. This is his new routine, for three hours a day, for however long it takes.

It's hard to be at the beginning of this process, but I have to remind myself that he could hardly bring a spoon from bowl to mouth a week ago. And now we can take that action for granted. 

So I hope all of us—Jon, me, the boys—can refer back to this point in time, to remind ourselves of the progress that he's made, that we've all made, when we get frustrated or anxious (or have meltdowns in the car) in the days ahead.

Love you like crazy, Jon, you're doing so great. We love you so much and we're so proud of you honey!

Min

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun

Cognition / Re-Cognition

The brain is a mystery and a marvel. When I'm in my clearer moments of being (my normal cycle is calm/productive, then exhausted, in between there are still crying jags and feeling despair/guilt/anxiety, but mostly that's limited to when I'm alone in the car. By the way, this has always been my escape pod. My memoir could be titled "Crying in my car: One Woman's Relationship with her Car") I turn over the facts of the clinical case in my mind, over and over. So yesterday, our darling niece was planning to come by for a visit. So I let Jon know before Alex and I left in the late afternoon. He rolled his eyes and went "humph." Our darling girl is a sweetheart and we love her tremendously, but she is 1) a youngster and 2) an Angeleno, which means plans change and traffic can dictate anyone's whole day. So he expressed his usual skepticism that she would be on time, or arrive at all. When I came back in the evening with Casey, Casey asked "H