Skip to main content

May 1, 2017 11:41 a.m.

Today was a pretty big day; Jon had a CT scan that came back clean, so they removed the EVD from his head. Such a big relief, as this means he is on his way to the regular section of the neuro floor, and out of ICU. Next I'm hoping that the speech therapist clears him for some jello and other soft foods by mouth, so we can work toward getting the feeding tube out. One step at a time, I suppose.

Physically, he's still strong as an ox, and as most of you know, my husband is not a small person. So for a while he had his hands restrained to stop him from pulling out his IV, feeding tube, and the port line running from the top of his head. He wasn't doing it in any aggressive way, more the way we unconsciously scratch at bug bites when we're asleep, or rub our eyes. So by the time I arrived this morning, in addition to the restraints, he also had soft white padded hand wraps on both hands, like baby boxing gloves.

That's you, honey, a fighter, sturdy as a water buffalo, stubborn as a mule, faithful as the horse year you were born in.

This morning Lang came from OT, got you out of your bed, and you brushed your teeth, washed your face, and put on your socks. Lang is an energetic Vietnamese dude, reminds me a lot of the relatives on your side, and he claims his BMI puts him in the obese category, although I can't imagine it. If he's obese that would make Jon and me planetary. He also got you to open a bottle of deodorant and put it on on both sides. Now if only he could teach that trick to our teenagers.

Right after, you dozed for a bit, and seemed to have a fitful dream of some kind, as you were furrowing your brow, and your cranial pressure went up and down. Fortunately, your nurse Marzanna was there to tell me that is pretty normal. Cranial pressure goes up for everyone when we're straining in some way, even when having a bowel movement. (Who knew, right?) Our cranial pressure doesn't hold steady all day. I always imagine the brain just floating all day, like we see in jars in science fiction movies.

Then James came by from neurosurgery and took out the EVD (right in the room--convenient! It's the drive-by Inn and Out Burger of surgery.) Right after James finished up, Charysse and Natalie from PT came by, and what do you know? You went for a stroll down the hallway. Less than 5 minutes of having your head procedure. Modern medicine continues to surprise me. And you will always surprise me.

We let you stand, and then rest in the chair for a moment, and after a nap, Charysse asked you if you want to be in the chair or in the bed. She wasn't going to let you get away with not answering, and not saying what you want. Nope, you're not getting any slack from her, and wouldn't you know it? She got you to lift yourself from the chair to the bed on your own. So you've had a pretty full day today already.

Love,

Min







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Information

Hello Friends and Family, First of all, thank you thank you thank you for all your words of support, your prayers, gifts of good thoughts, positivity, and well wishes. It all helps, believe me! We are truly grateful and feel blessed to have the absolute best network of wonderful human beings--HUGS! I'm using this blog to update folks on, well, pretty much everything that comes across my mind, so feel free to check in if you're wondering what's going on. I write things down because I'm making lists, lists, lists constantly, and also because writing helps me figure out whether I'm coming of going from one minute to the next. I'm processing things through language. My heart is cracked wide open and everything is spilling out through my words, as Jon is working really hard to find his again. So some logistical things first. Just want to tell you what to expect if you are up to a visit to the ICU to see Jon, so you don't run into any surprises. He is in K

Cognition / Re-Cognition

The brain is a mystery and a marvel. When I'm in my clearer moments of being (my normal cycle is calm/productive, then exhausted, in between there are still crying jags and feeling despair/guilt/anxiety, but mostly that's limited to when I'm alone in the car. By the way, this has always been my escape pod. My memoir could be titled "Crying in my car: One Woman's Relationship with her Car") I turn over the facts of the clinical case in my mind, over and over. So yesterday, our darling niece was planning to come by for a visit. So I let Jon know before Alex and I left in the late afternoon. He rolled his eyes and went "humph." Our darling girl is a sweetheart and we love her tremendously, but she is 1) a youngster and 2) an Angeleno, which means plans change and traffic can dictate anyone's whole day. So he expressed his usual skepticism that she would be on time, or arrive at all. When I came back in the evening with Casey, Casey asked "H

Things I'm thinking about

1. Jon's blood pressure, the EVD and his cranial pressure, and his feeding tube (when he can come off it.) especially the feeding tube. That totally blows having it in, since he has chewing and swallowing down just fine. 2. Corey's AP Chem test on Monday. He seems pretty cool and confident about it, and seriously seems to have his act together on several fronts. I would be a hot mess in his shoes, but he's brighter than me, fortunately. 3. All the rigamarole I'll have to sort through on the accounts that I don't have logins for--utilities, personal cards, car insurance, etc.--I wonder if companies run into this situation often? My guess is yes. We probably aren't the only couple in America that divides up responsibilities and doesn't sit down to exchange passwords and account information. Luckily we have each other's phone lock codes, otherwise I'd really be screwed. Off to the bank on Monday to get some things in motion. 4. Casey's newfoun